Monday, February 18, 2008

Speedlimits, Amended

So... I've been thinking about that last one. I think I need to slightly amend that idea.

I really think that while we need to not condemn ourselves for growing slowly, that idea--that we shouldn't judge ourselves or feel guilty for not being at the same place as another--needs to NEVER become a cop out. Unfortunately, that's what often happens... we begin to understand that there's a freedom, and that begins to be our constant excuse for why we aren't better.

For example, we fight legalism and works-based righteousness... and many of us extend that into an excuse for why we don't need to do anything... well, God loves me for me, and I'm saved because I believe... we talk about not wanting anything to get in the way of that, and we wouldn't want our salvation to be based on what we do... which is true, except that we still need to work!! We still need to reach out and serve and give and love.

I listened to Donald Miller preach a little while back... he talked about the excuse we have for why we don't do certain things: too many of us say, 'well we had this dream but God closed the door'. Now I believe God closes some doors, but what means a door is closed?? For many, a closed door is a plane ticket that is too expensive, or supplies that are hard to come by. For many, a closed door is working with people with whom we don't want to be forced to interact. Miller said, and I tend to agree, that these are just excuses!!

So while you ought never do something JUST because the guy down the road does, we should never let that become an excuse for being lazy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo! You need to update! You're not in Portland anymore AND it's not February anymore.

SO GET TO IT! :-) Ha!