Friday, May 11, 2007

Dichotomy

...is a cool word. So much packed in there. Negative undertones; lofty intellectual overtones. Confusion: half of you don't know what this word means... the other half rarely use it appropriately.

Actually, it can refer to the time of month when the moon is half-lit by the sun—a half-moon: that can be called dichotomy. Or, when a plant's branch splits into two new branches: that can be called dichotomy. But the most common use refers to two vastly differing views on a topic. For example: Coffee: Many people see coffee as the nectar of life; others see it as a drug people use to self-medicate. Haha... huge exaggerations, I know, but you get the idea, right?

So what happens when we have such diversity (dichotomy) in beliefs and neither is appropriate??

In doctrinal arguments, we all vehemently defend what we believe and why... but what if it's not right?? What if the only reason we take such a stance is that the "other side" has taken an opposing stance, and we just can't stand being near that position, so we pull away?? Or what if BOTH sides are right… in a way… sometimes??

For example: I've been thinking about how we preach and preach about how people are supposed to be "In the world, but not of it..." but we also rant and rave about not "surrounding ourselves" with inappropriate relationships--if a friend is pulling you down, sometimes we need to break that relationship. Wow!! Can both be true?? So, I really need to NOT sequester myself away and be a monk or a hermit; at the same time, I really need to NOT put myself in some situations!! There's this balance between needing to protect my spirituality and being open and relating to others. What's the solution?? I don't know. But somehow we need to seek a balance point: if you find yourself with ONLY Christian friends, you're probably in a bad place... But if you find yourself really struggling with spirituality, you're probably in a very different but equally bad place.

Here's another example: a life of service. Scripture teaches a concept about 'death to self.' This idea that somehow one of the basic teachings is that as long as we're focused on our own desires and needs, then we'll miss a portion of what God wants for us... somehow, part of it has to do with serving others--often to the point that it impacts our own life. CS Lewis says that if you aren't giving enough money that it begins to hurt your own situation: or if you aren't giving enough that you need to go 'without' something, you might not be giving enough.

So should a Christian be a doormat?? (One extreme) No!! But at the same time, one cannot expect to grow spiritually if one only serves AFTER caring for one's own needs. (Another extreme)

At some point in time other people need to come first. I'm a pastor, and all the time—at pastor conferences and by well meaning people, I get told to make sure I'm taking care of myself—and as true as that is, (there is a time to look out for myself) there's also a time to give everything I have to others. Too many people in this world are always looking out for #1, and serving others as long as their own needs are met first. At some point in time, service (if done honestly and out of obedience) will begin to impact our own lives.

I have this sneaking suspicion that at very few points in Christianity will we find that a point is ABSOLUTELY so. Especially, when dealing with the extras we've thrown in there to make it something we can grasp with ease... It isn't a simple thing: if it were, I have a feeling it would have been made up. (Another CS Lewis-ism). There are a few things, of course, that we can rest on fully: God is merciful, God is just (fair), God loves you and me, God created us (somehow... just how, I don't know or care), Jesus was real, Jesus lived and died and rose, I can be right with God because of the nature of God and because of the life of Jesus. I can be sure of these things... I'm sure there are more that I can rest on fully, but that's a start... the funny thing is, though, that most of us are really aggressive about things that have must be balanced out, and while most of us might admit that a balance point exists, far too many have failed to seek it out.

This is long, so I'll quit. :) And my car (which is being serviced right now...) is almost done.

Out

No comments: